Re: Recordings

>> >Photek: modus operandi (purist minimalist drum&bass - new one "form and
>> >function" due soon/now)
>>
>> Form & Function is out, at least in the states, and it's really good. I
>> like it quite a bit more than Modus, F&F seems to be focussed more on
>pure
>> drum textures. Listening to Photek is, for me at least, like
>eavesdropping
>> on the internal conversations of an obsessive/compulsive.
>
>I heard some of the older bits on F+F and liked it, but the newer stuff,
>like just about all the jungle I've heard come out of Britain over the
>last year or so, is just horrendously discouraging to me.  It seems like
>there's some sort of contest in Britain as to who can come up with the
>stiffest, simplest, most un-funky beats.
>
> The complexity and
>unpredictable nature of the rhythms that made it such an unusual style a
>few year ago seems to have been more or less discarded in favor of
>dishing out a stiff drum-machine emulation of an eight-note rock beat
>(or, at best, "Funky Drummer" played at 160 BPM, a la Roni Size).

That dreadful two-step rhythm. yes, it's been really, really boring. Thing
is, I hear people complain about how boring it is all the time, yet it
keeps hanging in there. dnb styles usually change pretty rapidly, hopefully
this variant will go away soon.

>Anybody have any reasons why this is the case?  Or compelling arguments
>to the contrary?  About the only new (post-'96) jungle I've heard that
>consistently excites me as much as the older stuff is LA-based DJ Hive
>and some bits on the new DJ Spooky album; I wonder if the US is due to
>start picking up the slack in the near future...

y'know, I've heard a lot of television commercials with really cool backing
music in the past couple of years. That's where I've heard the best drum n'
bass lately. MTV promos between videos are usually pretty hip too. Usually
the best stuff on MTV...  Anybody know how that happens? Do the people
making these ads just leave the music for the last minute and take whatever
gets handed to them? Was the jingle industry quitely disappeared and
replace by avant-garde composers? In any case, seems like a fine place for
some wild loops.

kim