Re: need info on GR300 Help!

I had a GR300 and a GR808 controller (neck through the body, maple and
walnut body and neck, gold hardware) in the early 1980s.  Here are the
important things to understand about the GR300:

1.  It is not programmable.  You can't jump from a flute patch to a cello
patch with the press of a button.

2.  There is only one oscillator per string.  However, you can get the
effect of two oscillators per string by mixing the sound of the string with
the sound of the synth.

3.  You cannot select different waveforms for the oscillators.  Also, it
only has an Attack control--not an ASDR.

4.  No MIDI.

5.  The hex fuzz sounds cheesy--at least to my ears.

6.  The knobs are large enough so that you can adjust them with your feet.

7.  Before I bought the GR300, I had an ARP 2600.  The 2600 had an infinite
amount of patching possibilities, while the GR300 was very limited.  It was
easy to get strange sounds out of the 2600, but difficult to get anything
strange out of the GR300.  Then I realized the big difference--the GR300
was
much more expressive than the 2600.  The guitar controller let me pitch
bend
and change dynamics much more naturally than the 2600's keyboard and knobs
and sliders.

8.  There is a slight amount of delay between plucking the string and
hearing the GR300.  That's why most GR300 users favor the Pat Metheny
"trumpet" sound.  In fact, if you listen to recordings of guitarists who
used the GR300 (Pat Metheny, Bill Frisell, Belew, Fripp, Elliott Easton on
the Cars, Steve Howe, Steve Hackett, etc.), only Fripp and Belew used
sounds
that were different than the "trumpet" sound.  (I think the GR30 or GR09
come with a factory patch called "GR300.")

9.  It's ruggedly housed in a thick metal box.  However, be careful of the
bottom edges, they're sharp.  I sliced four of my fingertips on my left
hand
(only hours away from a gig) when I picked up the GR300 by the bottom edge
of the box.

10.  Here's an example of how responsive the GR300 was:  My GR808 had a
dead
spot on the neck at the 7th fret on the B string.  The GR300 always tracked
this note exactly as the GR808 produced it--dead with no sustain.  I could
play the same note on the G string and it would sustain just fine.  This
really bothered me, but looking back, the GR300 was only acting as
expressively as the GR808.

11.  My GR808 was neck heavy.  I did not like this.  It made me use my left
hand to "lift" the neck to my prefered playing angle.

12.  The patch cord that goes between the GR300 and the GR808 may or may
not
still be available.  If possible, buy as many as you can find.

13.  The GR300 produced slightly less gain than the average guitar.

14.  For additional sonic possibilities, Roland made a box that let you
control two GR300s from one guitar.  Pat Metheny used this setup.  Again,
this box may no longer be available.

Bottom line:  I thought the GR300 was a one-trick pony that did its trick
very well considering the limitations of technology in the early 1980s.

I hope this helps.

Mark Kata
Mark@asisoftware.com