Re: process threads . . . or what have you

Miko wrote...
>> It seems that *most* of us improvise... some completely, other's not
>quite
>> so much... How do we create meaningful work of this nature which will
>endure
>> and still retain that free spirit?

Steuart Liebig...
> For me, I guess it's the same kind of process (though slightly different
> aspects of it) as writing. A lot of it comes down to accepting what one
> likes, yet being able to have a somewhat objective perception as to what
> works, what doesn't and what I'd like to change. In other words,
>examination
> and reexamination of strategies and vocabularies.

Nice thought... I might do well to assess the difference between what I
personally like w/what I'm actually capable of doing. Taking better stock
of my
"tools" (Derek Bailey's term which IMO is a collection of basic and
extended
techniques for improvising) and treating them more formally.

Compositionally I've found that there are people who just rage with their
own
style and *still* manage to sound conceptual, indulgent soloing etc...
Then
there are people who don't really solo or have "trademark" sounds and
sound
conceptual right out of the gate with a seemingly well thought out
progression
of ideas. This intrigues me and seems to function more artistically for
me.
While I love to solo and be a "guitar guy" I want to find a broader
approach
which has more musicality and artistic merit. (Without losing the soloing
of
course! 8->)

> Often I try to approach different situations with different mindsets.
>Some
> bands/situations get the full McGilla (effects/loopers, etc.), some get a
> different set of parameters (say bass and amp only).

Embarrassingly, this sounds a little intimidating to me. If I was actually
playing more often with a larger variety of people, maybe it would be
different.
Again... food for thought.

> I tend to like composers that use finite rules for certain pieces
>(Stravinsky
> as noted, Webern, etc.) so I try to bring a little bit of this
>sensibility to
> the table during some of the improv situations that I get involved in.
>Some
> might say that this sort of thing verges on NOT BEING free improv.

John Zorn's game theory described in Bailey's book sound very interesting
to me.
Is that the sort of thing you're talking about? Coming up with arbitrary
contexts which define various moments during an improv?

One last note/question: I keep hearing the non-idiomatic banner being
waved and
wonder just how removed from an idiom you have to be to have people not
dis you
for your references? E.g.. Rock grandiosity and tone; Jazz chords and
voicing;
Blues; Drum styles and grooves...

Thanks for the comments Stig...