RE: VG-8 or 2112

dennis,

I haven't got a VG8 but do have a Roland GR1 guitar synth. I think the key
to flexibility is to utilise a good mixer, one with as many
effect send as possible.
With two outputs to process ( guitar + synth ) you use two input channels
(
or 3 if the vg8 has stereo outs )
Now the signals are in the mixer , where they can be routed via the fx
sends to various effects units. If you return the fx to other
mixer inputs then these signals can be sent around again and out to
another
effect on another send ( or heard on the channel return )
 Hence the usefulness of a mixer with many sends.  NB: you really have to
spend time on this, as feedback loops lurk everywhere ! It's probably the
biggest 'my brain hurts' inducer involved with this setup, but the results
can be very interesting.
Unortunately you'll find most mixers come with only  two fx sends, usually
a pre and a post. Pre is better, as
you don't have to hear the input ( dry guitar, or dry synth ) on that
channel before you send it out again. A post signal has to have the
channel fader up before it goes post, so you can't hide that channels
output. In order to hear the results of all this processing, the final
output goes stereo out to a power amp and speakers ( or the inputs of a
DAT
etc ). Big setup !
A very good source of ideas on using a mixer and effects is the David Torn
video ( number 2 ). Studying this and thinking how I
could adapt my equipment to dt's ideas has given me many hours of
experimentation to puzzle over.
Many people on this list use mackie 1604 mixers. I've been using a tascam
688, which has the ability to send to 4 effects, and a handy
little digital display ( 'scenes' ) to map the signal routing - but the
688
isn't really a gigging option, as it's huge..
Another useful aid is some kind of speaker emulator/load device which can
take the output of your guitar amp straight to the mixer.
This means you won't hear anything until long after you've processed it.
Getting really gear frenzied now, a simple A/B box after your guitar
signal
where A goes to the 'silent' guitar amp and B goes to a 'heard' guitar amp
means you can build a loop, switch to B and play over whatevers coming out
of the mixer.

I'm off now to get a life.

hope this helps
At