Re: Visual interest in music

>Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 10:13:01 -0500
>From: "Dennis W. Leas" <dennis@mdbs.com>
>To: Loopers-Delight@annihilist.com
>Subject: Re: Visual interest in music
>
>Dpcoffin@aol.com wrote:
>>
>> In a message dated 10/20/98 2:21:50 PM, you wrote:
>>
>> <<Well, we all have our shortcomings.  In addition to a vigorous
on-stage
>> display of semi-rhythmic enthusiasm, I prefer that all the musicians
be
>> cute, between the ages of 19 and 29, and outfitted in the latest
youth
>> fashions.>>
>>
>> Or would you perhaps prefer your audience to be blindfolded?
>
>Sounds intriguing! I like it! ;)
>
>- Dennis Leas
>--
>dennis@mdbs.com

I tend to think the visual aspect of performance is very important and
can be as stimulating and as integral to a performance just as much as
musical skill, gear, presentation and arrangment/placement of sound
matters.

I dunno, but music and especially loop based music is not what I
particularly "hear" per se, rather its often the case of how i usually
see it. & often music appears to me in the form of colors and
relationships that are always moving, bursting, combining or fading.

I think looping would be much more prevalent and utilized more
frequently across the board if it were presented in more mundane, less
than "so serious" and "heavy/penetrating veins" & just left to flow in a
more crass & crude manners.

Is it a problem if "looks" overtake the music ??? yes and no depending
on what you need to get from music. You dont need much analysis, ya just
either enjoy it or pass it over.

Not to put down anyone, but I just dont get goose bumps when I think of
"Middle Aged" folks with dulcimers, flutes and violins improvising along
the lines of modern classical stuff with maybe hints of bop using either
lo-fi or hi-fi digital stuff and or analog/found gear. I always feel a
big yawn coming on when i see or am around that type of stuff cause it
rarely departs from the weight of its own aloofness.
And not to discount the folks who feel alienated or insulted by crass
presentations of "ego" or "minutae" they are valid perspectives but they
seem to rule the majority ( not all but most ) loop oriented artists
presently puttin stuff out right now.

I dunno if u guys would call an act we mentioned a few months ago
(Merzbow) a looper but I see similarities in his approach to that which
is "loop" and think that in the contexts he usually frames his stuff (
Bondage - Porn- Exehibitionism ) in ( tho its way too "arty" 4 most) is
in a direction that is a breath of fresh air and has a hint of danger,
clearly chaos and a perverse deviance while departing from the usual
stuff loopers usually indulge in en masse.

While Looping is truly sensual, rarely is it ever directly indulgent on
levels that are direct and obvious or meant to appeal to more than just
its usual crowd. Looping seems to be always coming from something thats
aloof though unquestionably valid but in the end it always smells like
something you really need an encylopedia on to really appreciate.
(IMHO:)