RE: gauge

Tone is the most subjective of topics. Imagine trying to play a fast funk
rhythm guitar with a Stevie Ray Vaughn tone and strings (he used light
>bass< strings on his guitar(!!!) )- it wouldn't sound like funk guitar
would it? That may not be a perfect example, but I think you get the idea

There may not be a perfect string, but if I read your message right, what
you mean is a string that played the infinitely highest harmonic content of
a string pluck/tap/hammer etc.

When you tried the new 'light' set of strings, were they the same
age/cleanliness of the heavy ones, and had they had the same amount of use?
Any new set of strings is going to sounds much more 'alive' and 'tinkly'
than an old one. Are you sure that this was not what you were hearing?

Not that I am an expert on sticks of strings, but have noticed that a lot
of
a chapman stick's tone is caused the the actual action of hitting the metal
fret against the string, as opposed to plucking the string with a plectrum
or your fingers. Next time you have a stick in your hands, try plucking the
strings - it sounds a lot more like a guitar that I thought it would.