RE: speaker question again

>I am a recording engineer by profession, and I use NS-10s alot. Most
>working engineers do. The answer to the question of whether or not they
>are
>good speakers is a bit complicated. Much the way that a dental hygenist
>will clean
>your teeth with pure flouride, I wouldn't think that you would like
>brushing at home with it.
>NS-10s tell me things about my mixes that other speakers don't. I have
>visited many studios where someone claims that NS-10s are 'really crappy
>sounding speakers', and prefer to use genelecs. To demonstrate, they play
>one of their mixes on the Genelecs and then switch to the NS-10s pointing
>out how bad the 'speakers' sound. If I get a mix happening on the NS-10's
>and then switch to the genelecs, these same people will be amazed at how
>much better their 'speakers' sound. NS 10's are a tool for me. I like
>them.
>YMMV
>
>-Chuck Zwicky

You're absolutely correct about this comparison. Genelecs never seem to
translate all that well. When I was working in a studio out side of Boston
doing mostly acoustic music, we got some Genelecs and they created a lot of
confusion, especially with clients who weren't that aware of how to listen
to speakers. Still, there's information that gets by an NS10. It's really
hard to tell what is really happening on the low end with these.  They also
kill my ears pretty quickly. My other studio had NS10s and soffitted Urei
time align speakers (809s?) and that seemed like a good combination for the
time (mid-late 80s).

Edwin

Edwin Hurwitz
Boulder CO