RE: speaker question again

>Good point.  Unfortunately, we are losing these pro audio stores because
>so
>many people go to them to use their services, then go to the discount
>store
>to make the final purchase.

Yes, this is a problem, but usually these pro audio stores will meet
price points if they can confirm a price quote.  Most of these stores
have _more_ flexability than a GC or Musicians Enemy as far as price
goes.  Furthermore, try getting service after the sale at your local bulk
outlet.  You know the types of places:  Bunches of acne-faced teenagers
who know next to nothing about the products they are suposed to be
representing, and if in this sea of mass market carnage you are able to
find a knowledgeable salesperson, you can rest assured that they won't be
around the mega-mart music shope for long.

I may sound a bit bitter, but I've spent time as a retail sales
consultant in "high-end" pro audio shopes and have had more than my share
of customers come to me wanting to see all of the cool features and
expansion potental in "x-synth" or "x-effects device" which I would
happily take several hours to show them, only to have them bring in the
device in question for service six months later.  When I would ask them
where they bought it, they'd invaribaly sight one of the
mega-music-all-things-to-everyone(except-for-service)-stores.  They'd
usually tell me that they got it for $50.00 less or that tax was lower in
that area.

You know, find a store (or better yet, a salesperson) you can trust and
work with this person.  If price is an important issue, ask them to match
a quote:  Most good salespersons will not loose a sale over price.  Then
not only do you have a cool new gizzy, you've also got something just as
important:  a human resource.

Now I know that some of you probably live in areas away from any good
music stores, but even the small ones can order stuff for you, and if you
pay a bit more, look at as supporting the local economy.  For those of
you living in big cities, seek out knowledgeable professionals and stick
with them, because once the independent, service oreinted stores are
gone, all we'll have are GCs etc.

-doug

p.s.  I'm currently listening to Amon Tobin's _Permiatations_ which has
some PHAT loops. Check it out.  (There's your looping content)