Re: My EDP cuts in abruptly on volume pedal swells

>Hi Loopers,
>
>I've recently noticed that when I try to swell the volume on the beginning
>of a loop on my EDP, you don't hear the whole swell, the sound just cuts
>on
>at a certain point, maybe when it hits an audio threshold(?). I have the
>threshold parameter set to 0 and when I hit record the EDP does start
>recording instantly but the audio still cuts in abruptly not gradually
>swelling in. I seem to remember in the early days of Looper's Delight
>someone, maybe Andre LaFosse(?), had a problem with this, and since I
>didn't have an EDP at that time I don't remember now what the solution
>was/is. I don't have time to search the website right now so I thought
>someone here might comment or have some suggestions until I get time to
>look around.

Seems like you are encountering the software noise gate we have in the loop
path, which is supposed to be very unobtrusive. Andre was having a similar
problem once upon a time. Andre's complaint had to do with the old
Loop3.3.2 software, where the gate threshold was set too high, so it was
much too obvious and irritating. In the current software we set it much
lower, where it shouldn't be obvious now. If you are hearing it, I think
maybe you have the gains set a bit off. Try turning the input up a bit (but
not enough to clip!) and the output down to compensate. Ideally, you should
have no trouble with volume swells cutting in like that. The gate threshold
should be far below usual signal levels.

Since I *know* you're gonna ask, the gate is there to serve two purposes.
One is so you can leave Overdub on (or have it in delay mode) without
normally small system noises building up to a huge level in the loops. The
second reason is for Undo. If you have left Overdub on, we use the gate
threshold to tell if you are actually playing something into the loop. If
you are not, we want to stay in the same memory rather than recording into
new memory. That way, when you press Undo it takes away something you meant
to record into the loop, rather than some little bit of noise that you were
not aware was being recorded. This makes Undo much more predictable and
easier to use than it otherwise would be. (this is in the FAQ, BTW :-)

again, try adjusting the in/out levels to a better spot.

hope this helps,
kim