Re: dtorn/E-Bow

Hi Chris- cant think of a better purchase for the money!I got my first ebow
in 1984 & have burned out 2 since buying the plus(nifty blue light
model).At first I did emulate alot of the the heroes of the ebow,but after
alot of chemical intake I realized the potential of this device & ive used
it in practically every musical endeavor for 15 yrs I once asked a local
hotshot gtr shop owner how it was possible to play more than one string at
a time with it ,his reply was to rake it across the strings  really fast!
Knowing full well he was Bs ing me as usual I dismissed it as more useless
advice from the asshole for the file...I went home that night & discoved he
was right.a It has an enduring sustaining (forgive me!) quality that I
return to.Ive \mastered alot of the advanced techniques & honestly have
about 20 different approaches of my own.Yes you  can do a sax,oboe
,clarinet etc  also that amazing flock-of birds bowing sound that is
totally unique to the ebow.I find its important to realize the full
potential of this device is often found while combinig it with other
instuments(not ness gtr)&effects concepts etc.It really is a great ideas
tool& it always stimulates something new for me.For xample if you have a
Zvex fuzz factory(& who amoung us being of unsound mind wouldnt?)then you
have an amazing range of  beautiful & abrasive osscilating ,horn like &
radio wave surfer sounds used in conjunction with an ebow.Yes this device
is essentialy a controllable electromagnet but designed for making music
with.Ive  come up with many techniques
based on the physical limitation of having this thing in my hand & using
the extraneous 'noises ' it makes while not doing its real job ,sustaining
a string  BTW  Ive recorded some amazing drone based music using the ebow
on a fender bass-it can be done!Great on acoustic insruments-Just played a
show in a art gallery using 2 ebowed acoustic guitars with micotonal slide
& tambora ..no electric sound & every one could here it .buzzing & humming
away.Looping with an ebow ......well..space doesnt allow  for the
possibilties..
Most important reason to have an ebow it gives instant acsess to the DRONE
and dont we need that in all our lives?
only a short list of people who have used the ebow as a real tool to
achieve great music: David First .Elliot Sharp. Fred Frith. Arnold
Dreyblatt.-Roger Kleier -BJ Cole
Just my 2 cents   -----------Keenan