Re: "things" vs. programs

Personally, I prefer the "hands on" live element. I also actually like the
inability to use loop point edits. Instead, my little squashboxes give me a
plethora of little things that I can do spontaneously that computers don't
seem
to offer (to my experience). I can add to any point of the loop in "real
time"
without having to move a cursor; I can quickly decide if I want the new
portion
to add to or replace the existing portion; I can change the pitch instantly
without waiting for processing time. I can sample while changing the
pitch. All
of these are very useful to me.

When I get my computer I probably will use some of the looping programs,
but I'll
use them in a different way, compared to my boxes. When I hear folks using
computers for loops, I hear loops that sound perfectly processed and that
match
perfectly with the music. Loops to me are a medium of sound exploration. I
find
more joy in listening to a spontaneously created, "unpredictable" loop.

matt