Re: MIDI and microtonality

I haven't specifically done this with guitar (though
I do use an axon regularly), but have with synthesizers.
The main problem I've run into is that there are few
synths that support alternative tunings, and most of those
don't offer terribly accurate or flexible tuning options.
I think most Yamaha FM synths can do ok, and Wendy Carlos
uses her K2000 for such.  If you can find her web page,
I think some of here tunings were listed there.

Harry Parch came up with a 43-tone-per-octave scale that
had all sorts of funky properties. It is described in his
almost-unreadable book _Genesis Of A Music_.  This is the
sort of scale that requires very high tuning resolution:
0.1 cents. Though it does contain several sub-scales that
could be done on a synth w/ 1 cent tuning resolution.