From: Chris Chovit [mailto:cho@newdream.net]
Sent: Saturday, March 20, 1999 2:44 PM
To: Loopers-Delight@annihilist.com
Subject: Custom Echoplex switching pedals...any interest?

Fellow loopers,

I am currently working with a pedal-builder to come up with A/B and A/B/C
boxes, to switch the Echoplex DP footpedal between multiple echoplexi.
Here is the problem I have with the A/B boxes currently available:

1. DOD-style boxes work adequately (if you lift the ground to the positve
lead of the unselected output), but do not have LED's to show you which
output is selected.  This is a pain when I forget which unit is selected --
I usually hit the MUTE button to determine this, but this is not very
condusive to performance situations.

2.  Morley-style boxes (w/ LED's) do not work.  At least this has been my
experience. (Has anyone else been able to use these?)  My (limited)
understanding about this is that in order to use LED's in the circuit, you
must ground out the postive lead of the unselected output.  Since this is
equivalent to hitting the RECORD button, This will screw up any loops that
are going on in that 'plex.

One solution that has been suggested is to use the switches that have a
mechanical indicator (red button) rather than an LED.  This is certainly a
feasible, low cost solution, as these switches are apparently ~$25.

Another solution is to use relays, instead of just switches.  This is a
more expensive solution, and requires power, but has the advantage of
having easy-to-see (esp. in the dark) LED's.  Personally, I would like to
use different color LED's so make it really easy to determine which unit is
selected.

The design for the A/B pedal is complete, and the purchase price is ~$85.
Is anyone out there interested in such a pedal?

The design for an A/B/C pedal is currently in the works.  This pedal will
use a "latching" circuit.  In this setup, there will be 3 switches, one for
each output.  By hitting one switch, you will select that output, and
automatically deselect the others, thereby allowing "one button switching"
between three outputs.    For those of you using three (or more) echoplexi,
you are probably aware of the "less-than-ideal" setup of using two A/B
boxes to select between three units.  Often, two button presses are
necessary to switch, and there still exists the confusion of which unit is
actually selected (since the LED pedals don't work).  This latching pedal
will allow direct access to each unit, and have LED's to show which unit is
selected.

I do not yet know what such a pedal will cost, but I imagine it will be in
the $100 - $150 range.  This is expensive for just a switching pedal, but
it would be worth it to me.  Is there anybody else out there that might be
interested in such a pedal.

Also, I have not explored this possibility, but I imagine it would be
possible to create A/B/C/D, A/B/C/D/E, (etc.) pedals with the same type of
latching circuit, to provide one-button switching.  I don't imagine there
are too many people using that many exhoplexi, but it is easy to see that
the more units you are using, the more useful such a switching pedal would
be.  Using 4 A/B boxes to contol 5 echoplexi seems impractical to me, esp.
for live situations.

If anyone is interested in something like this, please let me know, as I
can probably get them for better prices if I order a bunch.

- Chris