Re: an idea

I think this is a great idea - I have been thinking along these lines also.
**Warning - geektalk follows !!!   MP3 seems like a logical way to share
loops, small files, cross-platform etc...  People working with images have
been doing similar things on the Web - for instance, I used to participate
in weekly 2D image-mangling sessions where every Friday night people would
meet online on IRC(text chat) or using video conferencing.  A set of 'seed
images' would be uploading into a shared FTP directory - the seed images
could be downloaded, mangled by participants using Photoshop or whatever,
and reuploaded. The site ran some server-side scripts to index the FTP
directory so people can easily peruse the modification history of each seed
image. I think something similar for sound files/loops is a natural - I
also wonder if we could 'borrow' the server scripts (I think they are Perl)
and modify them to cope with sound files (little modification is probably
needed). For those that are interested, the URL is

front page : http://www.sito.org/synergy/panic/
FTP browsing interface:
http://www.sito.org/synergy/panic/panic-interface.html

PS : I have a Linux Apache server that we might be able to use as a server.

---------------------------

>I agree about it being a neat idea.  And uploaded mp3s would sound better
>than "a haggard old tape" (that's my brand of tape, BTW).  To be a "chain"
>composition though, we'd need to preserve the idea of serially adding
>stuff
>to it.  Some way of one person passing it to just one other person, etc.
>Like maybe come up with a list of LD subscribers who want to participant.
>also suggest some guidelines for how long each contribution should be: say
>one to three minutes.  Comments?
>
>- Dennis Leas
>-------------------
>dennis@mdbs.com

Darcy Clark
Materials Science and Engineering Department
H.H.Dow Building, 2300 Hayward St.,
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI, 48109-2136
USA