From: "Dennis W. Leas" <dennis@mdbs.com>
To: <Loopers-Delight@annihilist.com>
Subject: Re: Loopable percussion (was: Tabla...)
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 09:53:40 -0500

IMHO, Tabla are one of the ultimate drums.  At one point in my life I
was
debating selling all my other instruments (over 150) and devoting
myself to
the tabla.  Fortunately, this temporary mania passed.

Tabla are extremely versatile but I find it hard to get a good sound
since
they're relatively quiet.  I usually use a pair of mics.  Good in the
studio, trouble on stage.  I haven't tried a pick-up yet.  After this
thread, I'm definitely going to!

Check-out the "mini-tablas" on http://www.tabla.com/tablahpg.html .
These
might work better for looping.

Also, I have an udu "drum" that works really well.  Lark in the
Morning
lists them on this page:
http://www.larkinam.com/MenComNet/Business/Retail/Larknet/Africa .
Mine was
made by Frank Giorgini and I LOVE it.   I had the opportunity to
speak with
Frank and can vouch for his integrity as an instrument maker.  My udu
has a
small opening for a mic near the "snout".  I use a cheap Radio Shack
mic
($25.00!) and EQ the H*** out of it.  I find the udu extremely
expressive
and a lot easier to mic than the tabla.  Some useful techniques:
1) Boost the treble.  Tapping the udu sounds like claves.  Rubbing
the udu
sounds like brushes on a snare drum.
2) Boost the bass.  While clapping one hand over an opening, insert
your
thumb into the other opening.  The further into the udu you stick your
thumb, the lower the pitch.
3) Increase the volume until you're on the verge of feedback.  When
you clap
your hand over an opening, the resonance increases, obtaining
controlled
feedback.  Vary the pitch as in technique 2.  Rock out!

Dennis Leas
dennis@mdbs.com