Re: EDP DC offset

In this context, DC offset refers to a bias presented to the
analog-to-digital converter (ADC).  For audio input, you'd expect a average
value of zero; i.e., the signal should have as many positive excursions as
negative.  However, if you present audio "riding on" a DC voltage, then the
ADC will produce a non-zero average.  It is unrelated to using two EDPs
together.

This has two disadvantages.  1) It reduces the "headroom" since you'll run
out of numbers sooner in one direction (positive or negative).  2) When
leaving the loop (via switching to a empty loop, muting, erasing the
current
loop, etc) you'll hear a "thump" or a "click".

Kim describe how to adjust the DC offset for the EDP in a previous message.
I found the message in the archives!  For anybody interested, it's dated
"Wed, 25 Nov 1998 00:04:54 -0800" and the subject is "Re: Duh... Q: EDP &
CV
pedal for feedback control" sent from "Kim Flint <kflint@annihilist.com>".

I followed the procedure last night.  The procedure works great (good
instructions, Kim!) but my EDP was already set-up properly.  I.e., the DC
offset was already nulled out.

I'm getting a noisy signal from one of my EDP (I have two) and I thought
the
DC offset might be a problem.  But it's not.  :(  I'll have to try
something
else.

Dennis Leas
dennis@mdbs.com