Re: It just goes...

-----Original Message-----
From: Todd Madson <crash@waste.org>
To: Loopers-Delight@annihilist.com <Loopers-Delight@annihilist.com>
Date: Friday, May 28, 1999 8:43 AM
Subject: It just goes...

>Anyone get the urge to just put a loop on and let it go throughout the
>afternoon?  Sometimes letting a loop cycle for hours is a fun thing.

Yes, I have left loops on for hours, even days. The Electro Harmonix
16-second delay was the most degenerative, sounding like slowed-down robots
gargling with industrial solvents in a matter of hours. Using a DigiTech
RP-7 with two delays, one at about 20ms and one at 3,5 seconds, I
discovered
the "tunability" of short, resonant delays - no matter what you play, if
you
let them regenerate long enough, they become one big note. Which means that
all regularly repeating cycles are big notes, but we all know that already,
don't we? Farnk Zappa often commented on this phenomenon too.
    If I keep any loop on long enough (anywhere from a half hour to one
hour
or more), I have very pleasant audio hallucinations where EVERYTHING sounds
like it's part of the loop AFTER the loop is turned off. LaMonte Young kept
carefully tuned oscillators playing in his home for months at a time, which
possibly would create a similar effect. Comments from others?