Field Recordings/Loops, etc.

One of my fave CDs that utilizes field recordings is Steve Tibbets
"Safe Journey".  There is some crazy looping on that one, too.  I'd
definetely check it out.  Some of the textures are hallucinogenic.
Amazing stuff.  Loopworthy tracks are the quiet "Night Again" and
the incandescent yet eerie "Going Somewhere."

As far as finding music or loops in environmental sounds: my parents
had a small electric fan  that emanated a very odd, cyclic droning
that was very pleasant.

I also have noticed that birds can be master loopers.  I get up at
4:30 in the a.m. to get ready for work and find that some of it would
be loopworthy.

Also, if I drive across a particular bridge, the resonance of the
tires going across this odd abrasive material creates an interesting
drone sound.

Todd Madson
Musician, Mountain Biker, Stunt Kite Flyer, BeOS/MacOS/Linux/WinNt user.
http://www.waste.org/~crash/index.html