Re: Drugs+music: Off topic?

Author:  Mark Sottilaro <msottila@mailbox.syr.edu> at INTERNET
> For all recorded history there are tales of artists and drugs.  It seems
>to be
> an indelible part of art "lore."  Should the list avoid the topic?...

I don't have a problem when the issue of drugs comes up... I just don't
like
presumptuous statements about "how people end up" after their usage.

> Let's face it: a very large proportion of the music that we listen to
>was
> created under the influence of some drug. (I include alcohol in that
>list.)
> Why is this?  I'd love to hear anyone else's theories.

I believe anything which relaxes the restrictive inhibitions of self
criticism
and doubt, including drugs, alcohol, meditation and other mental
disciplines,
will have a positive effect on music making. Artists have utilized this
general
principle to allow them to access sublime concepts either naturally or
chemically, at the very least throughout this century.

In Derek Bailey's book "Improvisation", he ruminates about the influence
of the
audience and recording on the act of creating music, and, (to paraphrase),
states that an audience and/or the act of recording interject a (mostly)
negative influence on the creative process.

This points to the influence these elements have on the performer as well
as
their contextual effects. Relaxation techniques and a certain disregard
for both
the audience and the recording process might help one to peform with more
in-the-moment abandon. Whether chemicals or mental discipline are the
conduit
for this, I believe this to be true.

-Miko