In search of the ultimate looper?, &c.

loop-fruits:

Hello, how are you? New to the list, I'm just gone jump right in:

> Here are some features I'd love to see.  Perhaps
> something like MSP could do it in software, hmm...

MSP _is_ maybe the ultimate looper, along with being so much more. I
know this digital audio plug-in for the MAX programming environment (it
operates on what platform? the Macintosh operating system, you say?) has
been discussed before but allow me to tout its splendors, even though I
haven't used it since I got out of grad school in December(!) Not only
do you get unlimited delay time, times however many separate loops you'd
like, either within the first or in discrete files, the processing of
those buffered sound files is enormous, with either MSP's own processing
or the ability to bring in VST plug-ins. Those buffered loops may also
be saved and called up any damn time you please, provided your hard
drive doesn't punk out. "Sample rate modulation"? You bet your sweet
bippie. AND! With the new Pluggo software/programming you have many more
incredible VST plug-ins (not all of which, sadly, are available for
real-time mojo in MSP) which you can use on audio files in something
like Vision DSP and create your own VST plug-ins. Not to mention, for
goodness' sake, the enormous potential for MIDI nirvana available via
Max' real-time interactive MIDI engine. With consumer Powerbooks coming
down the pike "any day now" within the $1300 range, and the MAX/MSP
bundle at $495, this is a cheaper solution than, say, an Eventide, with
about a quintillion more options as well as a (they say) lovely
translucent iMac-looking exoskeleton. Whew. 'Nuff evangelizing...

> -- click removal/endpoint smoothing
>    crossfade between the beginning and end of a loop.
>    controllable crossfade time (and fade shape?)

Blurring out noisesome end/beginningpoints _is_ one thing MSP hasn't
cracked...yet...

> -- loop "tweaking":  real time effects on a loop.

There is much to be said about dedicated hardware, of course. Have I
missed something or do none of the favored loopers have effects loops?
Seems like it's so obvious and makes it easier to get effects back into
the loop utilizing this method. I may have missed something...

Finally, the "&c."

> I did talk to some Gibson and Opcode people this week, keep up the
>pressure
> on those guys! The more they hear from folks the faster they will go, and
> the message is just starting to get to the right people. If you go here:
> http://www.opcode.com/forms/feedback.html you can send a mail to the
>Opcode
> sales department. Or call them at 650-429-2400.

Have I missed something or isn't the Echoplex made by the Oberheim
division of Gibson, not the Opcode (the Vision/MAX folk) division? Sorry
if that's old news to you all, but, if Oberheim went south and/or got
sucked into Opcode, it'd be big news to me and my team of financial
planners. Thanks. Palindromplicity. Good day.

   ~      > --- James Keepnews --- <  "Don't quote anybody, Sir!"
 (.-.)    > -- Multimedia Yahoo -- <
    \                 *                           -- Krishnamurti
   -      > -  keepnews@node.net - <