Re: VST?

Yes, this is true, but for all but the programers out there, the plug-in
aspect is the most significant feature of VST, wouldn't you say?

>>I've found that the use of multiple VST plug-ins can also cause about a
>1
>>sec. delay between the input of a signal and it being echoed out the
>>monitor output in MOTU's 2408--which is why I consider this system to be
>>unusable for any serious recording, as most users will have to disable
>>all plug-in processing when in record mode, or monitor the source
>>pre-2408 and try to line up by ear with the tracks that are playing back
>>-- thus necessitating 2 pair of nearfields. (I'll go into further
>details
>>on the evils of MOTU at another time if anyone cares to hear.)
>
>I dunno if you're working on Mac or PC system, but latency at the moment
>is
>an inevitable "problem" with every audio card on the market. It's due to
>the
>internal computer architecture... it's the delay the whole system puts
>between its audio input and output...
>Consider that the MOTU 2408 (that I own too and I'm very happy with)
>probably has the lowest latency value around... down to 3ms on my P2
>350mhz... I call this real time... Consider a lot of MIDI instruments (to
>be
>played live) have 3-6ms latency...
>And, on PC, latency doesn't depend on how many plug ins you open but
>exclusively on the card buffer(s) settings.

Maybe things have been upgraded since I checked out the 2408, but it was
far from the "lowest latency around."  I'm not calling you a liar, I just
have a much different recolection of their system, and it was much more
severe than 3ms.  And that was on the fastest computer out there at the
time.

I will admit that for any serious DAW stuff, I will not go with anything
less than a full-blown Protools system.

>BTW, like real studio usually do, it's better to record straight clean and
>then process the signal (with plug ins), than recording wet... so latency
>should not be a big problem...

I'll not even comment on the "real studio" comment, sufice it to say that
I've had considerable time on SSLs, etc.  In a plugin environment, I
never print effects, but it is disconcerting to play while monitoring a
dry signal.  I always record Guitarists through ampfarm, but print only
the dry signal, so I can tweek it later, for instance.  If you're NOT
working this way, you are missing half of the point of a plug-in DAW.

>in fact big latency values are a problem only
>for mixing, when your moves on the virtual mixers have a delay on the
>music
>played.

Which should be automated, eh?

Doug