Re: backing solo performances

In FingerPaint we experimented with using backing DAT tapes in some of
early performances. We would intersperse these peices with pure "live"
pieces. Our hope in doing this was to insure a variety of music, not just
the solid wall o sound approach. However we dd not find this very
satisfying as performers.

Very few people in the audiences had any idea of how we were doing what we
were doing, so I don't think thet had any issues. But we dropped it. I'm
not saying that we would never do it again, and we do use some samples live
so...

I think what is important is the final result - is it musical. Often
musicians "performing" electronic music are perceived as "boring " to
watch. Then close your eyes and listen. As much as anyone I love to watch
musicians that are really going for it in any style of music, but if the
challenge in the foot dance and knob twiddling is not for you, don't look.

BTW I loved watching the ORB, even though I could see Alex loading in the
tapes..the music was great.....

Patrick

                     Fingerpaint's New Release:

                            IN THE LOOP

      ... an intelligent, stimulating mixture of mimimaist spacebeats and
           obscure samples layered upon a hypnotic illbient backdrop.

                       DIGITAL ARTIFACT # 12

                      http://www.fingerpaint.net