Re: backing solo performances

In addition to the comments made by the Reverent Doubt Goat, I agree
with the sentiment that keyboardists and DJs are dull to watch, but in
these days of technology, there is always some "behind the scenes"
wizardry going on somewhere in the sound-mix. In my last band "cranes"
we had a rule that we only stick stuff on DAT if it was physically
impossible to reproduce it "live". This was either due to a "special"
sound/noise that that particular song needed, or if we would need an
extra musician just for that song (unpractical when on a world tour to
employ that tamberine player just for that important  tamb' hit at the
end of the bands single!)

Please lets not get into a discussion as to "what is cheating or what
isnt?" we are supposed to be into looping ar'nt we....isnt that
cheating...kinda?

Mark

"Rev. Doubt-Goat" wrote:

> 93
>
> Re: the pre-recorded vs. live problem:
>
> I used to actually play gigs with a sampler,
> mult-timbral synth module and drum machine, all run
> from the sequencer while I played guitar and my
> partner played guitar and vocals. I did this till I
> got in a real band ;-) There simply is no comparison
> between doing it with other people and doing it with
> yourself, so desu neh?
>
> I agree with others here that the key is in
> arrangements. If you've only got 2 people, then write
> music for two people. Usually, less is more, ya know?
>
> Ok, here's my current bit 'o prejudices: keyboardists
> who set up facing the audience (i.e. you can't see
> their hands, just the back of their keyboards with
> all of the wires hanging down like electronic
> intestines) and solo turntablists. These are damn
> dull to watch. Look, he's putting on another record
> and bobing his head! Oh, someone stop me from
> fainting with excitement! And if I see another
> so-called performance that features someone staring
> into their computer monitor, I going to go up between
> sets and pop a virus into their hard drive! (joke
> folks, joke!!)
>
> And now, dirty secret time: I like to play gigs where
> I midi synch my jamman to my sampler which is setup
> to play percussion loops. What is my secret, you
> might ask? I use a semi-nude dancer who everyone
> looks at, so no one pays me any attention! Heh heh
> heh heh...
>
> 93
> Rev. Doubt-Goat
> ===