RE: distortion pedal advice

        since we're all on fuzz pedals . . . the fulltone ultimate octave
is
nice. on switch is a basic fuzz side (fuzz face clone?) and another switch
adds the higher octave, which is very present and tracks well - - even on
bass. great things this pedal does: fuzz by itself, fuzz with octave - -
and
then one of my faves which is holding a chord and toggling back and forth
between the octave and non-octave sounds. sounds good with other
fuzzes/overdrives added on top. other added bonus: diads other that a
perfect fifth (and sometimes fourths) sound like they're ring-modded. it's
about $150 used, not cheap, but then it does have two sounds and gets some
really squirrelly stuff.

        also the prescription electronics face lift is similar but has the
additional bonus of the octave switch being independent of the fuzz switch
-
- so three independent sounds. two version: one germanium, one silicon. i
had a germanium model which didn't always agree with part of my bass sound.
i hear that germanium is temperamental that way. i ended up with the
fulltone because the face life didn't do the ring-mod thang. the face lift
does some stuff that the fulltone doesn't tho' and, now that i have a
dedicated ring mod, i've considered going back to a silicon version for its
other advantages.

        stig