Re: I used to play....

curbfeeler@transworld-lax.com writes:

> Now I just read user's manuals and follow user groups
>  to figure out how to use the manuals.

Yep, sometimes I spend hours fiddling with FX and then wish I hadn't

...but sometimes I end up with a patch I can use.
then I can spend some time with the patch, play into it and hear what
comes
out,
find out what it does,
find out that it does stuff I hadn't foreseen when working it out,
ending up with bits of composition and areas for improvisation.

Then it all seems worthwhile.(like the day my guitar sounded like a tabla)

Part 2
presets?
No, I don't like them unless they can be tweaked into something else,
( except reverbs, but even then usually need to change decay time)
Partly this is because my main instrument for FX use is non-standard(not a
strat),
and also my technique is somewhat individual. So what sounds good for me
isn't
what (most) manufacturers provide.

And actually I dislike most of those preset sounds, and I don't want to
sound like other musos, even those I like.

However, not everyone who uses FX wants to spend valuable music time
doing all that tweaking stuff, they'll go straight on to the
'playing with it' stage using a preset or patch. I don't think their
approach
is
in any way inferior to mine.

Andy Butler
Lexicon Vortex Database (no new sections sorry).. send more patches
http://members.aol.com/soundfnr/vortex.htm