Re: Real-time DSP?

There are numerous good points in the other posts, but
you might consider jMax from IRCAM running on Linux. I think
there's support for Sonorus cards under Linux.  You'll
still have to trade lots of processing power to get the
latency down, but if you really want to do it, you can.
I've also seen some good stuff done w/ Reaktor (from
Native Instruments).

Jim