Re: Opcode's Dead, Jim...

El Grupo Loopo:

Over the last week or so, the MAX list has been nostril-deep in
conspiratorial theorizing over the absence of Opcode from the commercial
radar screen. Here's the latest tale of ill non-communication from Opcode
from said list:

"Despite their release of (Vision) 4.5.1 they sure seem dead. I've been
waiting for 2.5 weeks for a challenge response for (MAX) 3.5.9. Multiple
phone calls & email with no response....

drag..."

...and sturm. Another gentleman from the self-same list provides this
sintillating bit of QT/v. hush-hush scuttlebutt:

"Begin rumor<<
As happens so often in this industry, Gibson had purchased Opcode to get
into this high tech thing, and Opcode had submitted in order to get a
consistent cash flow. Gibson wanted dsp boxes for the guitar market--- The
Opcode engineers have tried to follow their true calling instead, but the
powers at Gibson eventually lost patience and cut off funding. Arguments
and lawsuits ensued, and last week Gibson invoked the final solution and
fired nearly everybody. The way I hear it,  little remains except some
left-over inventory of less popular products
(probably inculding Max), suppliers refusing to ship unpaid for popular
products, and a building lease. The intellectual rights involved will
probably be tied up for a long time. Current employees seem to be 1
salesman, 1 shipping clerk, and 1 tech support.
>>end rumor"

A private note Kim sent me a few months ago is alarmingly prescient about
this current turn of events re: Gibson in re: Opcode, although who dared
believe how current that turn would be? Not me, sweetie darlings. Is this
part of Gibson's brilliant re-structuring of its assets, up-to-&-including
das EDP? The targato looks ever more alluring...

   ~      > --- James Keepnews --- <  "Don't quote anybody, Sir!"
 (.-.)    > -- Multimedia Yahoo -- <
    \                 *                           -- Krishnamurti
   -      > -  keepnews@node.net - <