RE: Off-topic: Home Electrical Wiring

LET'S CLEAR THIS UP BEFORE SOMEONE GETS HURT:

Tesla coils typically have very high internal resistance, like TV high
voltage transformers.  Their voltage is high with no load.  As soon as they
are connected to a load resistance (your body), the output voltage drops to
a very low level, because the current is limited by this very high internal
resistance.  Only 1 to 5 milliamperes actually flow through the body,
because the voltage drops to a much lower level.  It takes about 10 times
this much current to cause heart fibrillation due to disrupting nerve
conduction.

The ac power line, on the other hand, has VERY LOW internal resistance.  If
you touch a quarter of a million volt power line, even with one hand,
current will conduct through you, right through your shoes, through the
earth, back to the generator.  You will likely die in seconds, unless you
are wearing VERY THICK RUBBER boots or shoes having no holes or cracks
where
moisture exists.  The power line voltage doesn't drop at all, because the
generator has for all practical purposes zero internal resistance.  Your
body might even cook rapidly if the current is high enough to boil your
electrolytes.  People who work on these high voltages for a living use
special techniques and equipment to insulate themselves to a high degree.

Don't even think of playing with the power grid, even with one hand in your
pocket.

Alan