Re: Home Electrical Wiring

<< Don't even think of playing with the power grid, even with one hand in
your
 pocket.
                Alan >>

right arm! Alan.  Some real sense of the questioner's dilemma.

    1st)     The reversed polarity outlets are a likely place to get a
shock
with your gear.  So, get those fixed TODAY.
     2nd)     The 3-prong outlets need checked to see if there is a ground
wire connected to the ground terminal of the receptacle or not.  If not,
get
that fixed.
     3rd)     Knob & Tube was and is good safe wiring.  Problems occur,
however, when modern 3-wire conductors and old knob & tube (2-wire) are
mixed
on the same circuit(s).  The floating neutral of the old stuff can become
severely overloaded--a fire hazard.
     4th)     The highest voltage I ever worked was 34,500 volts
distribution
power.  Perfectly safe if all the precautions are taken and the right gear
is
used.
     5th)     The only time I nearly got electrocuted was when assembling
the
buss bars inside a large 440v. 3-phase switchgear cabinet (about the size
of
a normal bedroom).  I had my safety padlock on the main, but a young
electrical engineer decided he needed to show a group of state senators
how
the facility looked.  He wanted to turn on some overhead lights.
(Engineers
had master keys for everything in those days.)  He didn't check with
anyone,
he just unlocked my padlock and turned it all on.  Well I was sweating
(July
in Iowa) just pushing a 90 pound solid slab of copper buss in place when
the
power came on.  I was absolutely locked up and could not move, I couldn't
even take a breath and my heart was stopped completely, since the 440
volts
was going from arm-to-arm for almost a full minute.  Finally, an
apprentice I
was working with, ran up and turned it off when he realized what was
happening.  He punched out the EE too later, I heard!  Good lad.  I had
minor
burns on both arms where they were touching the buss bars.  I felt very
strange for several days.  But, I got six months off with pay and the
young
EE got fired!  And no one could ever unlock anybody else's safety lock
after
that.  At least at that facility.
     6th)     The problem with 120 volts is that usually doesn't have
enough
strength to stop your heart, just enough to cause erractic fibrillations
which will kill you in 5 minutes or so.  A heart de-fibrillator like
medics
use operates on between 300 and 500 volts, I believe.  But a dead short
circuit on even a 120 volt 20 amp circuit has about the same amount of
available power as a  locomotive engine going 60 miles an hour--if only
for a
fraction of a second.  I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to get
hit
by such a thing (again), even if it was only for a few microseconds.

     Bill "Hawkeye"