Re: Plex Upgrade ideas: Loose the box.

> EVERYONE's signal goes into one G3 Powerbook etc....

> Is such a thing even technically possible?  And, if so, how much moolah
> would all this crap cost?

Forgedaboudid. Little thing called latency. U know, the time lag between
your signal goin in & your signal comin out. True, you can reduce latency
by
using high performance sound cards, but not really good enough. PLus, we're
talkin' computers here, system crashes, freezes, & what not. Not a good
thing for live performance.

Which is why, despite all ze hoopla, computers still have a way to go. And
hardware solutions still rule.

BUT THERE IS A SOLUTION TO ALL YOUR LOOPING (& OTHER) GEAR FANTASIES !

http://www.symbolicsound.com

Get Kyma for $3300 (base model with 4 Motorola 80MHz DSP chips & 96MB of
RAM, 4 audio ins & outs, extremely powerful). Can be later expanded (one
$700, 2 DSP, 48MB RAM card at a time) to a max. of 28 DSPs.

This one box can serve as ultimate synth, sequencer, sampler, looper,
composition tool, coffee maker, etc. All at the same time ! You have to
hook
it up to a computer, (PC or Mac, desktop or laptop, & it doesn't have to be
a powerful one either) because that's what the graphical user interface
runs
on. No processing takes place in your computer. You can use your computer's
hard drive to store your data though.

$3300 may seem like a lot of money, but even a Kurzweil K2600 can do but a
fraction of what Kyma can. Among their benchmarks for the base model is
listed the capablility to do 70 (mono) voices of sampling. You can build
some pretty freaky Echoplexes-out-of-a-dream in Kyma with this kind
of power ! Imagine having the ability to incorporate LFOs, resonant
filters,
toy with the speed, pitch, direction, whatever of your loops in real time.

> Hmmm....  2 Sticks and 2 Zendrummers, all wired to a Cray-2...  could be
> slightly interesting...  ;)

Nah, forget the Cray, Kyma can do everything you dream of & replace a
studio
full of gear.

BTW, it's the same DSP chips the Nord & Novation (& Waldorf I thnk) synths
run on. But here in an open environment.

Little bitty bit of a review at
http://www.keyboardmag.com/demos/kyma/kyma.shtml

Drool on !

- Drew

Drew Skyfyre      songwriter, webmaster, happy human

           Skyfyre 2.0: http://skyfyre.lookscool.com
                       email: drew_skyfyre@yahoo.com

    Xenharmonic Engines : microtonality/xenharmonics
                     http://microtonal.lookscool.com