speaker/monitor question

i know i asked this a while back, but yesterday, i actually had to plug
into
an old fender champ and a small crate amp, seeing that my stereo speakers
have finally given up the ghost, besides sounding bad, it was way too loud
(not for me, but the rest of my family)........yes, the power mackies and
jbl
eons  may be most wonderful, but i can only get together $300-$400 for a
set
of speakers and i am not afraid to spend less.....:)........i have always
used 2 mismatched old klh stereo speakers and these were fine for mixing
my
music.....i have never used "monitors" per say and wonder if it is
necessary
to go there, is the difference that great?.......also, i have been using a
very old pioneer "receiver/ amp" to power my system and the question is
always there, would a better amp be part of my solution?.......keep in
mind,
that i never play out and my main goal is to get good recordings of my
music.......any ideas would be most helpful.........thanks
much..........(forced to listen thru headphones).........michael