Re: Fear Of Technology

Jeff,

I recognise what you descibe from my own reactions to new technology
but wonder if its really fear.
With any new toy I spend a rapturous few weeks playing with the presets,
tweaking the knobs and just finding what it will do. Then I have the
terrible committment to spend a very long time learning how to use
the thing. Will this thing allow me to make better or different music?
Is this committment of my time going to be worth it in the long run?
Very often I find that I'm not prepared to make this committment and
the toy stays in its box, or gets sold, or gets used for the one or two
presets that I liked. Things with a very short learning curve, say a new
power amp (and I'd put the EDP in this class) stand a much better chance
of finding their way into use.
You can call this lazy but I like to think of it as subconscious
time management.

Jim Carter
University of Bristol
Cantock's Close