Re: spacial sound

I'm interested in this discussion of surround sound during live sets.
I'm looking into 2 possibilities for my live gigs:-
1. This is one I used on a theatre project once and I know it works.
What you do is get a couple of these piezo electric tweeters. They're
quite cheap and attatch them in parallel with your existing PA speakers,
(they are high impedance so you don't have to worry about your amp).
Then you stick them high up on a hook on the wall, window sill, beam
etc, (preferably behind the audience). What happens then is that when
your playing the tweeters will naturally pass certain high frequencies
and they will appear to be coming from above/behind. I've actually had
people look around them to locate the sounds. Like I say its dead cheap
and very easy to do live.

2 I've not tried this one. It involves placing a full range speaker
behind the audience and wiring it up to the two live terminals on a
stereo amp. The speaker signal passes the difference between the two
normal stereo channels. Does anyone know the impedance implications of
this before I try it? The theory is that if say you pan a sound from
hard right to hard left, the initial sound will come from right front
and behind , move to the two front speakers only at centre pan and
finally hard left and behind. You can imagine what this would do to a
full dynamic mix. It's an interesting idea.
Has anyone on this list tried these methods?

Incidentally, why is everyone so grumpy?, (I'll probably get my head
bitten off for saying that)

Chill,
Gareth