Re: alternative to Lex Vortex

skyfyre_dys@yahoo.com
writes:

> Now, about the Lexicon Vortex. Never mind why they stopped making it, but
>  what's the best alternative to it now ? Is the MPX 100 capable of Vortex
>  style weirdness ?
Some of the Vortex sounds are to be found on the MPX1 and the G2 (say
Lexicon)
, (but no audio morphing.) but I don't think this runs to anything like
the
full glory of
the Vortex..... and quite pricey.

Lexicon's PCM81 looks like it would do all the vortex stuff and much more
(long delays as well) but the price tag is great.

MPX 100 has no vortex sounds. Mainly pretty processing with a couple of
off
the wall FX as a bonus. Chorus/flange/rotating all v.good but unfortunatly
subtle.
Excellent tremelo/pan though.
2.5s looper.
Best reverbs.

Cheap way to get Vortex type polyrhythm echoes (though no tap time or
panning)
is the Behringer Virtuallizer. 2 echoes (not infinite) of up to 5s each.

Extreme and tweakable flange/chorus/vibrato from the Behringer Modulizer.
Also ringmod and (excellent) resonators.

Note, the Behringer gear is very cheap, but there seems to be some kind of
ethical objection to the company which you might want to check out .
(Personnaly I can't see they're worse than the others)

Andy Butler
Lexicon Vortex Database
http://members.aol.com/soundfnr/vortex.htm