Re: er, zorn

Tim Nelson wrote:

> Regarding Zorn, has anyone else noticed that while much of his stuff is
> indeed obnoxious, some of it is absolutely brilliant and tasteful. But I
> find this inconsistency really steers me away from purchasing his CD's
> because they're such a crap-shoot, sometimes literally.

well, i have one john zorn cd: naked city, circa '89, and while the bulk of
the material is *difficult* listening (ask my partner), i find that there
are several tracks which i keep going back to; these are mainly frisell /
horvitz / frith excursions and i do believe i've not heard anything like
them, anywhere. though i too have shied away from other zorn work, perhaps
unfairly (so much music, so little time)...

lance g.