Re: Loopers-Delight-d Digest V99 #441

In a message dated 11/10/99 10:57:14 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Loopers-Delight-d-request@annihilist.com writes:

<< Regarding Zorn, has anyone else noticed that while much of his stuff is
>> indeed obnoxious, some of it is absolutely brilliant and tasteful. But I
>> find this inconsistency really steers me away from purchasing his CD's
>> because they're such a crap-shoot, sometimes literally.

While I'll admit my patience wears thin pretty quickly when it comes to
his
sax playing for the most part, Zorn really turned my impression of him
around
when it came to the Masada projects, which to my ears have a depth that a
lot
of his other work lacks, clever and/or radical as some of it may be.  But
the
stuff I'd most highly recommend is on the many CDs of chamber-type
ensembles
on Tzadic which feature his music but not his playing.  They usually have
core of Eric Friedlander (cello), Mark Feldman (violin), Greg Cohen
(bass),
Anthony Coleman (piano), Marc Ribot (guitar), sometimes adding folks like
Dave Douglas (trumpet), Kenny Wollesen (drums), Cyro Baptista (percussion)

and Min Xiao-Fen (pipa).  Sublime and imaginative in a way I'd never
previously expected from him.

Never heard Mr. Bungle.  Judging from this discussion, I can't figure out
whether I'm missing anything or not...

Ken R