Re: more toys / "individualizing" music

James' chronology of the events of the past 30 years is correct,
and one that everyone involved in music should be familiar with.

I usually boil down the modern "rock era" into four watershed
epochs contributing to the DIY aesthetic: (much simplified, btw)

1957: 3-chord Rock and Roll & Rockabilly - Elvis & the rock pioneers

1967: the height of the singer-songwriter/Beatles era; electronics/
      psychedelia

1977: Sex Pistols/Punk - the Death of Rock n Roll via Rock & Roll

1987: Post-punk fallout, affordable synths, Digital everything and
      the rise of Hip Hop, Rap, etc.

The dates and specific genres to include may be debated, but basically
this is it. Almost *anything* you can imagine creating within the
context of the last 30-40 years of rock music (ambient is rock, btw)
has been done before. If you go back a little further - to Dada,
Futurism (the Art of Noises), the Situationists, etc... you'll realize
that modern music is nothing more than the rehash of all the major art
and/or literary movements that preceded it, only occasionally
contemporaneous with each other. Another consequence of this trend was
the disappearance of the avante-garde, i.e, no separation between High
and Low art.

But the increased fragmentation (or individualization) of music,
and all arts and media generally, is symptomatic of the late-20th
century trend towards de-massification overall. There is no longer
a "mass market" in the sense that there was as recent as the 70's
when there were only 3 TV stations (in the USA) and a handful of
national magazines (Time, Life and Newsweek) force-feeding a
"massified" agenda or worldview to the great unwashed.

Now we have the Internet and the Web - which is the perfect
technology to address and serve this highly fragmentated world.

Sure, a lot of mediocre dreck will be produced, but that's beside
the point (as James points out). The point of DIY is "doing it
yourself" - everyone can be an Internet Troubadour and be heard.
Anyone with a computer/connection can get into the game, express
themselves, learn and interact with potentially millions of people,
separated by thousands of miles. It's really unprecedented unless
you compare it to Gutenburg's press and what it did for the
codification and spread of knowledge.

Regarding the "musician vs non-musician" issue, I think it was settled
long ago. Eno is probably the most famous "non-musician" in the world
and few would doubt his importance and lasting influence on music and
other arts. IMO, "musician" is an increasingly specious term that smacks
of music conservatory elitism. Completely irrelevant.

- Larry