lexicon replies!

tried lexicon again... sent this:

i bought a second hand vortex a while ago that had been repaired
at some stage and came with the service manual. the service manual
mentions replacing the 64k drams with 256k drams and adding an
additional ic component to the memory controller at U10. i am thinking
of trying this if i can find the parts. my question is: am i crazy?
i suspect the software will not recognise the extra memory.

to which someone at lexicon replied:

Sorry

You are not talking about a Vortex here
There is no memory upgrade for this unit
What you are reading is for the Jamman
A unit we had produced the sametime we made the Vortex
So there is no upgrade for your unit
If it is indeed a Vortex

a very curious response... (no, no shrubberies here) .. anyhow, i opened
up the box and the schematics are actually realised on the board. the
slot at U10 is there and does indeed introduce an extra address line to
the alternative DRAM slots which are sort of "underneath"/between the
existing 64k DRAMs. i noticed that i have a vortex v1.10 ROM while the
manual lists the part as v1.20.

the chances look very slim but its all very interesting. i'm imagining
some tech at lexicon sneaking this into the schematics as it doesn't
seem to cost a cent. (wait... maybe the extra little bit of trace -did-
cost a cent per unit) how hard it would be to sneak the code into the
software to recognise the hardware sneak is another matter.

after Jon Durant's comments i'm now less inclined to try it... could
there be heat related problems?