Re: delay -> looper

>stick your favourite long, high regen delay in the ps5's loop and you've
>effectively got a selective overdub switch.

I am happy you typed this subject, Dr. Knox.
Some of the last posts about t.c. and such leave the impression that any
delay is a looper as long as it has enough delay time (and is stereo?!).
But a delay unit repeats all the time!

"selective overdub" is certainly a characteristic of a looper, but not the
only one...

---> what turns a delay into a loop unit?

I think, the most important is a tempo tap that SIMULTANEOUSLY records what
is played between the taps, and only starts repeating AFTER, and does not
repeat anything played BEFORE the tempo is set.

Without this feature, you can create nice loops, but its hard to start them
nicely. I went through this, using the Roland 3000, t.c. 2290 and PCM42 on
stage in the 80ies. An external "overdub" switch as Knox suggests (and I
used then), helps a lot, but its still a mess, unless you manage to operate
tap and overdub simultaneously or just start with non rhythmic loops.
Due to this, I relaxed a lot on stage when the LOOP delay finally worked...

         ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org