                               psm5                    |  2

                          send     return              |
                            |        A                 |
                            |        |                 |
                            V        |                 |
                             splitter ---> input     output

                                                delay

with no direct signal in the delay. that way input "1" into the mixer is
always the guitar/whatever and input "2" is always the delay .. and it's
a PSM5 by the way not a PS5... because its a Boss pedal that turns out
to be useful they probably don't make them anymore. i think they make a
"line selector" pedal that does the same sort of thing.

Mathias Grob wrote:

> Some of the last posts about t.c. and such leave the impression that any
> delay is a looper as long as it has enough delay time (and is stereo?!).
> But a delay unit repeats all the time!
>
> "selective overdub" is certainly a characteristic of a looper, but not
>the
> only one...
>
> ---> what turns a delay into a loop unit?

... true infinite repeat has be there for a start too.. i think
selective overdub for me is the number one characteristic of a looper
though... it turns the delayed material into something "seperate" that
can be added to... and goes a long way towards making it an "instrument"
rather than an "effect" ... after all, the musician has to choose what
to overdub. being able to set the loop/delay length on the fly with a
phrase would come in a close second for me .. sometimes it doesn't
matter as much if rhythm/tempo aren't a concern. guess you must have
more rhythm than me Mathias :)

so is a looper just a (long) tap-tempo true 100% feedback delay with
selective overdub? don't you need MIDI in there somewhere as well? :P