Re: gig question

At 12:43 PM 11/22/99 -0500, Nemoguitt@aol.com wrote:

>i of course play the "un-mentionable".......and i
>was wondering, what seems to work for those of you playing duet or
>trio.......

It depends on the situation; I regularly played with up to a half dozen
people at gigs of varying sizes in Chicago before moving to the middle of
nowhere in Idaho, and if I've learned anything (especially in a true improv
environment), it is that there are no two gigs of this type alike.

>i have never played with another "looper", and what i intend to do
>is loop oriented material (more in a jazz vain).......mostly
>improv......

Before looking to book gigs, I'd strongly (repeat STRONGLY) suggest you
discover whether your style of looping and playing is compatible with
others, and adjust your plans accordingly.  Until you know the answer to
this very important question, gigging is not wise.

>anytime someone posts that they have a gig, i wonder how do they
>approach this......do you do several sets, or a single set.......

This depends largely on what exactly that I'm booked for, duration,
atmosphere, acoustics, how much I'm being paid, and a host of other
factors.  Again, you have to know the specifics of what the gig wants you
to do, and then go from there.  That said, I generally recommend limiting
your set to 1 hour, then taking a break, both for your sanity and for the
sanity of your listeners.

If you're really going to do research, check out some local musicians of
various genres and how they divide their time and build up a set.

>do you allow  the "vibe" of the setting to direct your playing.......

I allow anything and everything to direct the music; it's what
improvisation to me is all about.
--
the Reverend Rob      ICQ: 1280871          Yahoo: theReverendRob
http://www.realm-of-shade.com .`. .`. .`. .`. http://www.qblh.com