Re: Lexicon Jamman-Akai midi sequence arpeggiator

At 8:40 PM -0800 11/22/99, Madoud@aol.com wrote:
>I'm curious about a couple of things.
>    Why was the Jam man discontinued and not brought back.....I understand
>there is some Lexicon  product with JamMan features.  Did it not make the
>company money or have enough sales.

Lexicon lost a shitload of money on the jamman. It only became a desirable
device well after they discontinued it. Before that time they had a
warehouse full of them collecting dust, unsellable. They killed it off and
blew out the inventory cheap, and only then did people start wanting it.
"looping" was a the butt of many jokes in Lexicon management meetings for
quite some time, as I understand.

They just didn't realize how much time it takes for ever-conservative
musicians to really get interested in new ideas. You need a bit more
patience for this sort of thing.

With Harman in control there, I really doubt that you will see a lexicon
looper anytime soon. Public company: gotta keep the stockholders happy with
those nice quarterly earnings reports.....no chance-taking allowed.

>    Has anyone ever tried to hook up an EDP to an AKAI ME20A  MIDI
>SEQUENCE
>ARPEGGIATOR?  I recently picked one up cheap and am intrigued about what
>could possible result from linking the 2.  Be interested to hear.  thanks
>MD

If it sends and receives midi clock, it should work fine with the echoplex.
You have all sorts of cool rhythmic possibilities, especially if play
around with the 8ths/beat parameter on the echoplex and let them sync up to
each other with different time signatures. So the arpeggios keep shifting
against the loops.

kim

http://www.annihilist.com/  |