Re: Effect as crutch

>>> "Alan Imberg" <alan_i@sprynet.com> 11/24 4:10 PM >>>
> Clifford makes a very valid point. Its easy to take for granted the
sound options we have today. I still marvel at Hendrix's recordings.
The effects may sound dated today but when I consider the state of the
art circa 1966 to 1970, I get blown away by the tones he gets almost
as much as his playing. Even more impressive in my opinion is the fact
I've yet to hear anyone come close to sounding like Jimi even thought
the effects he used are now very common and affordable.

I think the first obstacle with sounding like Jimi is the fact that
he staked out such a personal yet ubiquitous style that it became
impossible to even go in that door and not lose your own identity in a
way. It's hard to do blues based rock or psychedlia and not get
tagged... Although I've been trying hard all these years to sneak back
into that realm while trying to define my own sonics and vocabulary.
That said, I still feel free to ramble wherever I damn well please!
8-> Creativity and honesty demands that...

> Though it is a cliche, I find validity in the analogy that sonic
effects are the equivalent to musicians what extra colors are to a
painter. Today, we have colors galore. Placed in certain peoples
hands, they can become nothing more than a smeared mess. Placed in the
hands of someone with imagination, patience, and vision, you can get a
masterpiece. Bottom line: Its the imagination behind the tools that
determines the quality.

Time to go home and get patient and let something inspiring flow from
my instrument...

Have a great break gang!
-Miko