RE: Begining of Millennium

I think Greg is speaking from cultural conditioning.  There is a great deal
of tortured and misshapen arguments and notions in the US.  Starting from
thinking that it's cool to use gallons instead of liters, miles instead of
kilometers, and that everybody in the Universe speaks English (Star Trek).
Same old argument, what's real?  The truth is that a millennium starts on
the first year (that's why it's written with a number one), not on "year
zero," as there was no "year zero."  The "Seventies" are not the seventh
decade-- they're the eighth decade.  The Nineteenth Century ended in
December 1900, and the Twentieth Century in December 2000-- see the
connection (19, 1900-- 20, 2000)?  To say that 2000 is not as cool as 1999
is like thinking that it's OK to have strange aliens in Star Trek talking
English like they grew up in Kansas.  From the outside this looks really
uncool.  And I'm a good outsider, I can tell you that unanimously.