Re: digital errors? (CD Dupes) OT

Alot of Hi-Speed Dupers will advertise 8X write speed, but they are always
more accurate when you select a slower speed (Adaptec Toast has this as an
option).  One machine in particular that I used (can't remember the name)
would copy straight from a master CD to (8) copies....it also had in
internal
hard drive (1 Gig).  We were getting an occasionally unplayable CD and
after
numerous tech support calls we spoke to the guy that actually built it
(like
on the Looper's Delight List!!).  He explained that errors when READING at
Hi-Speed from the master were then compounded when WRITTEN at Hi-Speed to
the
copies, often adding up to unrecoverable errors.
When you play a CD, you are constantly hearing errors that are being
rounded
off by Error Correction Codes.  Digital Copies are NOT identical....even
on
very expensive equipment.  We found that sticking to BASF, Quantegy or
Mitsui
Gold (they actually make alot of BASF and Quantegy CD's) gave much better
results than the cheap CD's you get for $10 for a 10 pack!  Surprise.....
John Painter
<A HREF="http://www.flemingandjohn.com">flemingandjohn.com</A>