Oh yeah, thumb piano.....looping...

That would be a Kalimba.  And Steve Tibbets, renowned Minnesota
looper/guitarist/composer has used them a lot on his recordings.

I'd check out "Safe Journey" if you want some mindblowing, wild
stuff....groundbreaking heavy rock jams culminating in eerie,
drifty chiming loops, pastoral acoustic guitar with rumbling
and dense loops underneath, field recordings, crazed distortion
guitar, eerie atmospheres.  Probably one of my top ten of all
time just for the variety and the fact that this one goes from
a whisper to a scream to an out of body experience.

BUY IT!