Vortex vs. MPX-100

Fellow loopists-

  While waiting to take delivery of my very first
  loopifier (Headrush), I've begun plotting my next
  purchase. =)  What I'm interested in is a
  multi-effects unit, probably rackmountable, which I
  can use for either pre- or post-loop processing
  (depending on mixer routing).  I want to be able to
  get some really freaked-out guitar tones, but I don't
  want to spend $800, either.  At the moment I'm
  considering the Lexicon Vortex and the MPX-100.  As I
  have some time before acquiring this unit (I won't
  have the cash until March), I thought I'd solicit
  opinions from y'all to aid my decision.

  Vortex - There's a ton of stuff available to read
  online, and I've read most of it.  The problem is that
  I don't have access to a source of sound samples of
  various presets, which would be great for a unit like
  this.  Can anyone recommend one or more albums where
  Vortextualized instruments (pref. guitar) are
  prominent?  Andre, I'm planning to pick up your CD
  soon, so I was hoping we could start there. =)

  MPX-100 - If Lexicon would just put the manual online,
  I wouldn't have to pester you with these questions. =)
   How flexible is this unit in its effects settings and
  the routing of multiple effects?  How good are the
  delays for loop purposes?  Would I be able to, say,
  set a short infinite delay (1-3 sec) to swirl
  atmospherically behind a longer Headrush loop?  Can
  the Vortex's ability to set interesting polyrhythmic
  echoes be duplicated?  Could the unit be configured to
  act as two independent mono processors for pre- AND post-loop
  messing-about?

  As the loop content of this request is (to me)
  questionable, feel free to mail me off-list if you
  prefer (scott@morriganrecords.com).  Other
  recommendations of flexible entry-level multi-effects are also
  welcomed.

  While I'm here, let me just say that this list is a
  tremendous resource.  I find something interesting in
  the digest every time it arrives in my mailbox.  Keep it up!

Scott Martin
Morrigan Records
scott@morriganrecords.com
http://www.morriganrecords.com