Some samples of Vortex sounds...

Geez, if I'd known....

There are lots of MP3 files I've made and they're on the net for
download.

You can first of all check out:
http://www.waste.org/~crash/asb.html
-and-
http://www.waste.org/~crash/loopage.html
-and-
http://webriffs.dhs.org/
-and-
http://www.waste.org/~crash/crash.html

The ASB site has, naturally, ASB music on it.
Many of the sounds in the track "aliensporebomb" are vortexed to death..
There's 6 stereo pairs of electric guitars playing in harmony and all are
processed thru the vortex.  Then, the drum machine has drums and bass
playing, but is also the source of the "synthesizer" in the background.

The synth pad is created by taking the other two bass guitar samples
in the drum computer and tuning them up one and two octaves respectively
and mapping key notes to the drum pads.  Then I "play" the pads for each
rhythmic pattern.

I then take a line out from the drum machine and into the vortex running
a custom patch I created.  The tap tempo was used to further give the
illusion that you're hearing a big keyboard synth thru a swirling leslie
like patch.

The drum machine allows you to send specific signals through any of its
six outputs (stereo left, stereo right, then 1 2 3 and 4).  This allows
processing of specific signals while leaving others unprocessed.  A very
nice feature.

So essentially, you're hearing 1 guitar and 1 drum machine.  But due to
the multiple outputs of the drum computer you can do a heck of a lot, and
the Vortex has much mutational power.

Let's see, the stuff at webriffs....lots of that is vortexed to death
too... Late nite has a clean guitar thru a choir patch with the tuned-up
bass samples from the drum computer into the vortex using another custom
patch.  There is no bass guitar or synth on this tune, just one guitar
and one drum machine, the drum machine is playing internal samples to
create the bass and "synth" parts (which are tuned up basses).  The
higher pitched "synth" stuff is a fingerpicked bass up two octaves, the
lower pitched (sounds a bit like rubato electric piano thru chorus and
delay) is an acco contrabass sample up an octave or so.

"Dance of Life Part 2", guitar and Kawai K4 synth processed thru the
vortex there.  The lead guitar is conventional until the fake B3
(processed thru orbits) drops out and then you've got a guitar thru
a mesa boogie studio preamp thru a mxr blue box thru a boss oc-2
octave box into the vortex (on that dynaflanger patch, aerosol I
think) direct to the board.  The drum programming is actually the
drum machine into the vortex using a tap tempo delay to create some
complex counter rhythms..

I could go on...am I crazy enough for you yet?

The looppage stuff at my site...the flanging on "unravelling" (short
version) is vortex I believe, just 1 guitar and nothing else...

Oh....and the Vortex can rock too.  Check out my crash page to hear
"The Velocity of Naught", crunching chunks of heavy metal madness...
the song that could not be killed.  Nothing special in terms of weird
panning but it sounds allright.

-t