Tibbets in a Nutshell

Yep, I remember checking out Steve's original issue white label LP
records from the Hennepin County Library here in Minneapolis and
that's where I got my recording of YR from.

Strangely, the LP had a different mix than the CD.  And the first
tune didn't seem to have bass guitar like the CD did.

Anyway, here's my two cents:

Steve Tibbets: early college experimentation, fuzztone craziness with
ethnic percussion and synths.

YR: amazing statement, powerful guitar, drumming and bass, with ethnic
instruments.  First loop I'v ever heard with Mellotron.

Northern Song: quiet, pastoral acoustic statements with percussion.  No
electric guitar to speak of.  At one point, Tibbets processed acoustic
"hums like a frigidaire" (to quote musician magazine).

Safe Journey: my tie for personal fave tibbets disc, loops, crazed rock,
tabla, kalimba and quiet synths, very ambient, wonderful, field recordings
crazed experimentation.  a fabulous, fully realized statement.

Exploded View:
Expands on safe journey and pushes for a more belligerent, bellicose
sound.  Acoustics and percussion are still here, but Tibbets is
gradually going from more linear electric guitar playing to wild,
almost out of control feedback use.  Occasional use of vocals
(no lyrics, just pitched singing).

Big Map Idea:
I got the idea that if Led Zeppelin kicked out bonham and plant and
jimmy page spent eight years in nepal that this is what that music
would have sounded like.  More acoustically based, but still some
smatterings of electricity here.  Cool blue cover too.

The Fall of Us All:
A juggernaut of a recording.  Listen to "Dzogchen Punks" that opens
the recording - giant, massive, brutish percussion with wailing
electric guitar punctuated by massive increases in tempo until we
finally land on a looped bed of oozing processed acoustic 12 string.
Bits of quietude and ambience here and there, but this one is made
to cram down your throat.  Difficult listening, but oh so worthy a
journey.