Re: Vortex vs. MPX-100

> One thing that spurred my interest in the MPX-100:  the SPDIF out.  For
>  those of us using a PC or Mac to record with sound cards such as the
>  SBLive -- which does have a SPDIF in -- could we use the MPX as a higher
>  quality AD converter that resides outside of the digitally noisy PC
>  environment?  For $250, a nice effects box plus AD converter is a pretty
>  good deal.  Would it work?

Yes, it works fine. You can even send a dry signal to SPDIF while hearing
the
the reverb on analogue OP. If your software can cope you get 20 bit.
(and the 44.1kHz sample rate is the best if your going CD)

 >I want to be able to
 > get some really freaked-out guitar tones
then you'd like the Vortex

> MPX-100 -
>   How flexible is this unit in its effects settings and
 > the routing of multiple effects?
not very tweakable

> How good are the
 > delays for loop purposes?  Would I be able to, say,
 > set a short infinite delay (1-3 sec) to swirl
 > atmospherically behind a longer Headrush loop?
there's a 2.5s looper,
there's a 5s delay (no feedback, so need a mixer for loops)

> Can  the Vortex's ability to set interesting polyrhythmic
>  echoes be duplicated?
No, but there's some nice rhythmic echoes

> Could the unit be configured to
>  act as two independent mono processors for pre- AND post-loop
>  messing-about?
yes, but limited, it has a number of dual mono settings

Andy Butler
Lexicon Vortex Database
http://members.aol.com/soundfnr/vortex.htm